Mains Paper 3: Environment| Disaster and Disaster Management
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: FBMAP
Mains level: Flood management
- The Union Cabinet has approved the “Flood Management and Border Areas Programme (FMBAP)” for Flood Management Works in entire country and River Management Activities and works related to Border Areas.
- The Scheme “FMBAP” has been framed by merging the components of two continuing XII Plan schemes titled “Flood Management Programme (FMP)” and “River Management Activities and Works related to Border Areas (RMBA)”.
- The aim of the scheme is to assist the State Governments to provide reasonable degree of protection against floods in critical areas.
- The works under the scheme will protect valuable land from erosion and flooding and help in maintaining peace along the border.
- The Scheme aims at completion of the on-going projects already approved under FMP.
- Further, the scheme also caters to Hydro-meteorological observations and Flood Forecasting on common rivers with the neighbouring countries.
- The funding pattern for FM Component for works in general category States will continue to be 50% (Centre): 50% (State).
- For projects of North Eastern States, Sikkim, J&K, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand, the funding pattern will continue to be 70% (Centre): 30% (State).
- RMBA component being specific to activities in border areas, the project works will continue to be funded as 100% grant-in-aid / central assistance.
- The FMBAP Scheme will be implemented throughout the country for effective flood management, erosion control and anti-sea erosion.
- The proposal will benefit towns, villages, industrial establishments, communication links, agricultural fields, infrastructure etc. from floods and erosion in the country.
- The catchment area treatment works will help in reduction of sediment load into rivers.