Mains Paper 2: Polity | Mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of the vulnerable sections
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Basics of the proposed Code
Mains level: Labour related legislation in India
Labour Code on Industrial Relations
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment has prepared a Labour Code on Industrial Relations, by simplifying, amalgamating and rationalizing the relevant provisions of the following three Labour Laws:-
- The Industrial Disputes Act, 1947,
- The Trade Unions Act, 1926,
- The Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1946.
- The provisions of the draft Code have been discussed with stakeholders in various Tripartite Meetings and then finalized.
- Labour code on wages and industrial relations are two of the four codes that labour ministry had been working over the last few years.
- In line with recommendations of Second National Commission on Labour, ministry had formed four labour codes, namely wages, industrial relations, social security & welfare and occupational safety, health and working conditions.