Mains Paper 2: Governance | Government policies & interventions for development in various sectors & issues arising out of their design & implementation
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: GDCM 2018
Mains level: Governance of broadcasts and creative industries in India
Global Digital Content Market (GDCM) 2018
- The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP is hosting a conference on Global Digital Content Market (GDCM) 2018 in New Delhi.
- The conference will feature sessions on music, film, broadcasting and publishing, as well as collective management, emerging models and the implications for the market and policy makers.
- India has been chosen as a host nation for the conference by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) due to the strong creative industry in the country in films, music and media.
- The focus for this year’s conference is the Asia Pacific region.
Aim and Objectives
- GDCM is a platform to discuss vital issues and enhance development of the digital and IP generating industries such as publishing, films, music, and gaming all of which are major contributors to the Indian GDP.
- The aim of GDCM 2018 is to give industry stakeholders a platform to come together and discuss new avenues in the films, music, gaming and creative industry.
- It shall also discuss points of challenge that is presented due to the changing creative landscape because of the disruption brought about by digital technologies.
Digital Content Copyrights and India
- GDCM 2018 is the second edition of the conference. The first conference was held in Geneva 2016.
- It is organised by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Geneva.
- The aim of GDCM is to ensure that a creative artist continues to be protected and receives better remuneration on the digital platform.
- India has recently approved accession to the WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT) and WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT) that has increased the coverage of protection of copyrights in the international IP regime.
- This will bring the Indian creative industry under and international copyright system, secure distribution of their work and provide them with a level playing field.
- India’s rank in the Global Innovation Index 2018 has improved by 24 places from that of 2015 and now ranks 57th.
- India is the top-ranked economy in Central and Southern Asia and has now outperformed on innovation relative to its GDP per capita for seven years in a row.