From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : GFDRR
Mains level : Disaster management in India
- India is unanimously chosen as co-chair of the Consultative Group (CG) of Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) for the fiscal year 2020.
- The decision was taken during the CG meeting of GFDRR held in Geneva, Switzerland.
Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery
- GFDRR is a global partnership that helps developing countries better understand and reduce their vulnerability to natural hazards and climate change.
- GFDRR is a grant-funding mechanism, managed by the World Bank that supports disaster risk management projects worldwide.
- It is presently working on the ground with over 400 local, national, regional, and international partners and provides knowledge, funding, and technical assistance.
India and GFDRR
- India became member of CG of GFDRR in 2015 and expressed its interest to co-chair in last meeting of CG held in October 2018.
- India’s candidature was backed by its consistent progress in disaster risk reduction (DRR) in the country and its initiative to form a coalition on disaster resilient infrastructure.
- This is the first time that India has been afforded the opportunity of co-chairing the CG meeting of GFDRR.