Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Green – Ag Project
Mains level: Read the attached story
Green – Ag Project
- The government has launched a Global Environment Facility (GEF) assisted project namely Green – Ag in September, 2018.
- The theme of the project is “Transforming Indian Agriculture for global environment benefits and the conservation of critical biodiversity and forest landscapes”
- It has collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).
- The project has been launched in high-conservation-value landscapes of five States namely
- Madhya Pradesh : Chambal Landscape
- Mizoram: Dampa Landscape
- Odisha: Similipal Landscape
- Rajasthan: Desert National Park Landscape
- Uttarakhand: Corbett-Rajaji Landscape
Aim and Objectives
- The project seeks to mainstream biodiversity, climate change and sustainable land management objectives and practices into Indian agriculture.
- The overall objective of the project is to catalyze transformative change of India’s agricultural sector to support and conserve critical biodiversity and forest landscapes.
- The project will support harmonization between India’s agricultural and environmental sector priorities and investments.
- The achievement environmental benefits can be fully realized without compromising India’s ability to strengthen rural livelihoods and meet its food and nutrition security.