Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Green Good Deed Campaign, Harit Diwali Campaign
Mains level: Community sensitization initiatives to curb menace of air pollution.
Harit Diwali-Swasth Diwali
- Keeping in view the detrimental effects of bursting Crackers and also the importance of the festival, MoEFCC has initiated a “Harit–Diwali” campaign.
- This campaign was initiated in 2017-18 in Delhi wherein large number of school children especially from eco-clubs participated and took pledge to minimize bursting of crackers.
- During this intensive campaign, the children were advised to celebrate Diwali in an environment-friendly manner by gifting plant sapling to their relatives and friends along with sweets etc.
- The children were encouraged to light up their houses and their schools with candles and diyas.
- The above campaign was extremely successful and the air quality had not deteriorated post Diwali in 2017 unlike what was experienced in 2016.
A pan-India Campaign this year
- On the above lines, the Ministry has initiated the similar campaign, but this year the campaign has been extended Pan-India.
- The “Harit Diwali-Swasth Diwali” campaign is now merged with “Green Good Deed” movement that has been initiated as a social mobilization for conservation and protection of environment.
- The Ministry encourages all schools and colleges to be part of this campaign.