Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Sputum Test, Nikshay 2.0
Mains level: TB elimination strategies
- A pilot project for utilising services of Department of Post for transport of sputum specimen for TB Diagnosis was launched by the Health Ministry.
TB Sputum Test
- The sputum test is often the first TB test to be used in countries with a high rate of TB infection.
- Sputum is a thick fluid that is produced in the lungs and the airways leading to the lungs.
- A sample of sputum is usually collected by the person coughing.
- Sputum microscopy is inexpensive and simple, and people can be trained to do it relatively quickly and easily.
- In addition the results are available within hours.
Why postal transportation of Sputum?
- Most of the patients are not diagnosed because the specimen does not reach the laboratory due to non-availability of specimen transport mechanisms.
- Transport of collected specimen also spares the patient’s from travelling to the reference laboratory.
- Prompt transport of specimen followed by efficacious testing will enable appropriate management of the TB patients and reduced disease transmission.
Nikshay Version 2.0
- The web-based application of Revised National Tuberculosis Programme, Nikshay Version 2.0 with better user interface and data structures, was also launched.
- The web-application is also designed to be mobile friendly, enabling data entry also from the mobile browser.