From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Ex Pitch Black 2018
Mains level: Not Much
Ex Pitch Black
- The Indian Air Force for the first time is participating with fighter aircraft in Exercise Pitch Black 2018 (PB-18), which is scheduled in Australia.
- It would aim to undertake simulated air combat exercises in a controlled environment and mutual exchange of best practices towards enhancing IAF operational capability.
- Ex Pitch Black is a biennial multi-national large force employment warfare exercise hosted by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).
- The IAF contingent consists of 145 air-warriors including Garud team, 04 X Su-30 MKI, 01 X C-130 and 01 X C-17.
- The contingent will assemble at Air Force Station Kalaikunda and depart for the exercise on 19 Jul 18 from India to Australia via Indonesia.
- During the flight from India to Australia and back, Su-30 MKI will carry out air to air refueling with IL-78 tankers.
- After completion of the exercise, on its return leg from Darwin to Subang, Su-30 MKI will be refueled in air for the first time by RAAF KC-30A.
Benefits of such exercises
- The exercise will provide unique opportunity for exchange of knowledge and experience with these nations in a dynamic warfare environment.
- Participation in multinational air exercise assumes importance in view of the continued engagement of the IAF with friendly foreign countries.
- Over the last decade, IAF has been actively participating in operational exercises hosted by various countries, wherein collaborative engagements undertaken with the best air forces in the world.