Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: MYC
Mains level: Urban Transportation as major source of air pollution.
- India and France have signed an implementation agreement on “MOBILISE YOUR CITY” (MYC).
Mobilize Your City (MYC)
- It is part of an international initiative which is supported by the French and the German Governments and was launched at 21st Conference of Parties (COP21) in December, 2015.
- Based on a proposal made by AFD in 2015, the EU has agreed to provide funds of Euro 3.5 million through the AFD (Agence Française de Développement) to contribute to specific investments and technical assistance components within the programme in India.
- The MYC aims at supporting three pilot cities viz. Nagpur, Kochi and Ahmedabad in their efforts to reduce their Green House Gas (GHG) emissions related to urban transport.
- This will be done by implementing urban mobility plans at local level and to help India at national level to improve their sustainable transport policy.
Components of the Programme
- The three pilot cities selected under the programme as well as MoHUA will benefit from the Technical Assistance activities. The main components of the proposed assistance are:
- to support planning and implementation of sustainable urban transport projects,
- support to strengthening institutional capacity for regulating, steering and planning urban mobility, and
- learning and exchange formats with other cities across India for exchanges on best practices.
- The details of the project activities will be worked out by AFD in consultation with MoHUA and the three partner cities including institutions such as the respective Special Purpose Vehicles (SPVs) for Smart Cities, the Municipal Corporations and any transport authority or transport related SPV.