Mains Paper 3: Indian Economy | Issues relating growth and development.
The following things are important from UPSC perspective:
Prelims: Ease of Doing Business Report 2018
Mains level: Factors leading India to improve its ranking on Ease of Doing Business index and the problems that needs to be solved to further improve its performance.
- The World Bank released its latest Doing Business Report (DBR, 2019) in New Delhi.
- India has recorded a jump of 23 positions against its rank of 100 in 2017.
- It is placed now at 77thrank among 190 countries with a leap of 23 ranks.
- The DBR ranks countries on the basis of Distance to Frontier (DTF), a score that shows the gap of an economy to the global best practice.
- This year, India’s DTF score improved to 67.23 from 60.76 in the previous year.
- As a result of continued efforts by the Government, India has improved its rank by 53 positions in last two years and 65positions in last four years.
Doing Business Assessment of India
- The Doing Business assessment provides objective measures of business regulations and their enforcement across 190 economies on ten parameters affecting a business through its life cycle.
- India has improved its rank in 6 out of 10 indicators and has moved closer to international best practices (Distance to Frontier score) on 7 out of the 10 indicators.
- Indicators where India improved its rank are as follows:
|2||Trading Across Borders||146||80||+66|
|3||Starting a Business||156||137||+19|
Important features of India’s performance this year are:
- The World Bank has recognized India as one of the top improvers for the year.
- This is the second consecutive year for which India has been recognized as one of the top improvers.
- India is the first BRICS and South Asian country to be recognized as top improvers in consecutive years.
- India has recorded the highest improvement in two years by any large country since 2011 in the Doing business assessment by improving its rank by 53 positions.
- As a result of continued performance, India is now placed at first position among South Asian countries as against 6th in 2014.