From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : TRS
Mains level : Not Much
- The Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance is conducting India’s first national Time Release Study (TRS) this week.
Time Release Study (TRS)
- The TRS is an internationally recognized tool advocated by World Customs Organization to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of international trade flows.
- This initiative for accountable governance will measure rule based and procedural bottlenecks (including physical touchpoints) in the clearance of goods, from the time of arrival until the physical release of cargo.
- The national TRS has taken this a multi-dimensional methodology which measures the regulatory and logistics aspects of the cargo clearance process and establishes the average release time for goods.
- The initiative is on ground lead by the Central Board of Indirect Tax and Customs.
- The aim is to identify and address bottlenecks in the trade flow process and take the corresponding policy and operational measures required to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of border procedures.
Benefits of TRS
- This initiative will help India maintain the upward trajectory on Ease of Doing Business, particularly on the Trading Across Borders indicator which measures the efficiency of the cross border trade ecosystem.
- Last year India’s ranking on the indicator improved from 146 to 80.
- Expected beneficiaries of this initiative will be export oriented industries and MSMEs, who will enjoy greater standardization of Indian processes with comparable international standards.
- Based on the results of the TRS, government agencies associated with cross border trade will be able to diagnose existing and potential bottlenecks which act as barriers to the free flow of trade, and take remedial actions for reducing the cargo release time.