Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not much
Mains level: Eliminating UMLCs to prevent deadly accidents
- Indian Railway has taken a mission area to eliminate all Unmanned Level Crossings (UMLCs) on Broad Gauge and accordingly special efforts have been made so that elimination can be completed at the earliest.
What numbers say?
- As on April 2019, there were 3479 Unmanned Level Crossings on Broad Gauge routes.
- Total 3402 UMLCs have been eliminated in last seven months.
- Balance 77 UMLCs have also been planned to be eliminated by December 2018.
- Most of the UMLCs have been eliminated either by provision of Subway/RUBs or by manning.
Progress till date
- All Unmanned level crossings on routes having speed more than 130KMPH and on Sub-urban routes have been eliminated.
- 12 Zonal Railways have now become UMLC free on Broad Gauge route.
- By elimination of UMLCs on war footing, accidents at UMLCs have reduced from 65 in 2009-10 to 3 in 2018-19.
*Accident data is upto October’2018