From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : IndiaSkills 2020
Mains level : Various initiatives for Skill development in India
The Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship has announced the opening of online registrations for IndiaSkills 2020.
- It is a biennial competition to scout talent from the country, offering them a platform to showcase their skills at national and international competitions.
- IndiaSkills 2020 provides a platform for skilled and talented Indian youngsters to showcase their abilities at regional and national level competitions in over 50 skills.
- Regional legs of the competitions are organized across four zones, culminating at the national competition in Delhi.
- Winners of IndiaSkills will then get a chance to represent the country at the WorldSkills International Competition to be held in China in 2021.
- The 22 winners of Indiaskills 2018 and their experts had represented the country with their outstanding performance at the WorldSkills International 2019 (WSK), held in Kazan, Russia.
- India won one gold, one silver, two bronze and 15 Medallions of Excellence at the biggest competition for skills.
- India ranked 13th among 63 countries that participated at WorldSkills International 2019, marking it to be the best finish for the country in the coveted skill championship.
- The last IndiaSkills competition was organized in 2018, wherein 22 states and more than 100 corporates participated, that gave 355 competitors a chance to display their skills across various skill competitions.