Mains Paper 2: IR | Bilateral, regional & global groupings & agreements involving India &/or affecting India’s interests
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: IPRD
Mains level: Geo-political importance of Indo-pacific region
- The second edition of Indo-Pacific Regional Dialogue (IPRD) – 2019 was recently held in New Delhi.
Indo-Pacific Regional Dialogue (IPRD)
- The idea of an IPRD was first conceptualized and conducted in 2018, as the apex level conference of the Indian Navy, organised by the National Maritime Foundation as the Navy’s Knowledge Partner.
- The annual dialogue aim to provide:
- a platform for substantive and insightful discussions pertaining to the geopolitical developments affecting the maritime domain of the Indo-Pacific
- policy-relevant inputs to the policy-makers and the public at large
- Practical solutions for achieving cohesion in the region through maritime connectivity
- Measures to attain and maintain a free-and-open Indo-Pacific
- A regional approach to the region’s transition from a ‘Brown’ to a ‘Blue’ economy
- Opportunities and challenges arising from the maritime impact of ‘Industry 4.0’ and
- How the twin conceptualizations of ‘SAGAR’ and ‘SAGARMALA’ might best be made mutually-reinforcing on a regional level