From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : ITLU
Mains level : International collaboration for ISRO missions
- The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi has approved the setting up of ISRO Technical Liaison Unit (ITLU) at Moscow, Russia.
- Department of Space has instituted technical Liaison Units, namely ISRO Technical Liaison Units (ITLU) at Washington, USA and Paris, France.
- The prime objective of ITLU is to liaise with various Government and space agencies in USA and Europe, respectively.
- Space cooperation has been one of the major links between India and Russia almost from the beginning of the space era and currently both sides are actively pursuing interactions in diversified areas of space programme.
- Apart from intensifying cooperation with Russia, India has expanded its space cooperation with countries near to Russia.
ITLU at Moscow
- The ITLU at Moscow will enable effective technical coordination for timely interventions on diversified matters with Russia and neighbouring countries for realization of the programmatic targets of ISRO.
- The Liaison Officer, deputed at ITLU from ISRO provides technical information about the developments in research and technology to government agencies and industries in the respective countries.
- They also support the ongoing bilateral programmes of cooperation in space technology and act on behalf of ISRO on the matters referred.
- The ITLU Moscow office would be managed by an ISRO Scientist/Engineer designated as “Counsellor (Space)” on deputation, deputed from ISRO and supported by a staff locally sourced.
- The process is planned to be completed within six months from the date of approval.
- ISRO will be able to collaborate with Space agencies/industries in Russia and neighbouring countries for mutually synergetic outcomes.
- ISRO’s Gaganyaan programme requires development of some of the key technologies and establishment of specialized facilities, which are essential to support life in space.
- For ambitious missions like Gaganyaan it is prudent to avail technical cooperation from International space agencies, who have already demonstrated their technical capabilities in specific areas.
- Russia, being one of the space faring nations, it is envisaged to collaborate with Russia extensively in various fields of relevance.