From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP)
Mains level: Enhancing hinterland connectivity with the help of Inland Waterways
Context: Inland Waterways Authority of India held a two day long intensive advocacy and communications outreach at Sahibganj and Rajmahal in Jharkhand.
Aimed at boosting rural economy
- These interventions are set to change the socio-economic landscape of the land-locked region which has missed the development.
- Participants included people from diverse backgrounds – NGO, Panchayat Members, Village Pradhans, Farmers, Fisherman, Boatmen and other local community.
- The IWAI is working with State Livelihood Missions for imparting necessary skill training for the youth, boatmen and other community members so that they could benefit from the employment opportunities, informed the IWAI officials who conducted the outreach programmes.
- The construction of the multi-modal terminal at Sahibganj will provide critical last mile connectivity to the hinterland of Jharkhand, the state richly endowed with mineral resources.
- The multi-modal terminal at Sahibganj will play an important role in transportation of domestic coal from the local mines in Rajmahal area to various thermal power plants located along NW-1.
- Other than coal, stone chips, fertilizers, cement and sugar are other commodities expected to be transported through the terminal.
Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP)
- It is aimed for capacity augmentation of navigation on National Waterway-1 (NW-1) Varanasi to Haldia.
- It will impact the ongoing process by creating :
- An alternative mode of transport that will be environment-friendly and cost-effective. The project will contribute in bringing down the logistics cost in the country
- Mammoth Infrastructure development like multi-modal and inter-modal terminals, Roll on – Roll off (Ro-Ro) facilities, ferry services, navigation aids
- Socio-economic impetus; huge employment generation.