Mains Paper 3: Economy | Development and Employment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: KVIC, KIMIS
Mains level: Promotion of indigenous Khadi to boost rural development through employment
Khadi Institution Management and Information System (KIMIS)
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) launched an e-billing system named Khadi Institution Management and Information System (KIMIS).
- The system is an in-house single umbrella billing software for sale and purchase that could be monitored, round-the-clock, from any part of India.
- The system can be accessed from anywhere in the country for the sale and purchase of Khadi and Village Industries products.
- This software will give real-time data of sales and will also give the updated status of stocks of khadi bhawans and godowns, allowing better planning and control of inventory of the KVIC.
- He added that 480 Khadi institutions and showrooms are linked with this billing software and it will be useful in raising demand and supply of goods in high demand.
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is a statutory body formed by the Government of India, under the Act of Parliament, ‘Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act of 1956’.
- It is an apex organization under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, with regard to khadi and village industries within India.
- Its head office is based in Mumbai, with its six zonal offices in Delhi, Bhopal, Bangalore, Kolkata, Mumbai and Guwahati.
- The Commission has three main objectives which guide its functioning. These are –
- The Social Objective – Providing employment in rural areas
- The Economic Objective – Providing saleable articles
- The Wider Objective – Creating self-reliance amongst people and building up a strong rural community spirit.