Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: About the transmission line
Mains level: Electrification in the remotest areas
- The PM has dedicated the 220 kV Srinagar- Alusteng – Drass- Kargil – Leh Transmission System to the Nation.
Srinagar- Alusteng – Drass- Kargil – Leh Transmission Line
- Built at a height of around 3000-4000 meters, this approx. 335 km long transmission line has been constructed by POWERGRID.
- In this project has Gas Insulated Sub-stations built at Drass, Kargil, Khaltsi and Leh will help to ensure 24×7 quality power in all weather conditions.
- Funding provisions have been in the ratio of 95:05 (95% Govt. of India share and 5% J&K state share).
Benefits to the region
- The implementation of this project was aimed to supply power to the people of Ladakh in harsh winters and evacuation of surplus power of Kargil & Leh Hydel stations of NHPC in summers.
- This will not only help evacuate power in summers, but will also supply power to the region in winters when temperatures dip and hydro electricity generation do not match up.
- With quality electricity available at reasonable rates, hospitality industry in Ladakh will get a boost, as their reliance on diesel sets will reduce.
- This will also attract tourists looking for affordable stay in all weathers.