Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: LEAP and ARPIT Programmes
Mains level: Transforming quality of teaching in India
- Union Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched two new initiatives LEAP and ARPIT.
Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP)
- LEAP is a three weeks Flagship leadership development training programme (2 weeks domestic and one week foreign training) for second level academic functionaries in public funded higher education institutions.
- The main objective is to prepare second tier academic heads who are potentially likely to assume leadership roles in the future.
- The programme would provide senior faculty, with high academic credentials, the required leadership and managerial skills including skills of problem-solving, handling stress, team building work, conflict management.
- It will also focus on developing communication skills, understanding and coping with the complexity and challenges of governance in HEIs, financial & general administration.
- The implementation of LEAP Programme will be through 15 NIRF top ranked Indian Institutions.
- The foreign Universities identified for the training are also within the top 100 in the world global rankings.
Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT)
- ARPIT is a major and unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.
- For implementing ARPIT, 75 discipline-specific institutions have been identified and notified as National Resource Centres (NRCs) in the first phase.
- They are tasked to prepare online training material with focus on latest developments in the discipline, new & emerging trends, pedagogical improvements and methodologies for transacting revised curriculum.
- The course is a 40 hour module with 20 hours of video content and 20 hours of non-video content. They are offered in a highly flexible format and can be done at one’s own pace and time.
- There are built-in assessment exercises and activities as part of the academic progression in the course.
- At the end of the course, there will be a terminal assessment which can be either online or a written examination.
- All faculties who have successfully completed the online refresher course will be certified.