From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : LOTUS-HR project
Mains level : Wastewater management in India
- The launch of the second phase of the Local Treatment of Urban Sewage streams for Healthy Reuse (LOTUS-HR) program was recently held.
- The LOTUS-HR project is jointly supported by Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India and Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research.
- The project was initiated in July 2017 and aims to demonstrate a novel holistic (waste) water management approaches that will produce clean water which can be reused for various purposes.
- The innovative pilot scale modular plant will treat 10,000 L sewage water per day and will showcase a self-sustaining model for the end user.
- Location: The Barapullah drain systems, New Delhi