From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Vedanta Philosophy
Mains level : Indian Philosophy
- The President of India has awarded this year’s Maharshi Badrayan Vyas Samman to various dignitaries.
Details of the award
- The distinction is conferred on persons once a year on the Independence Day (15 August) in recognition of their substantial contribution in the field of Sanskrit, Persian, Arabic, Pali, Prakrit, Classical Oriya, Classical Kannada, Classical Telugu and Classical Malayalam.
- The award introduced in the year 2002, is given to selected young scholars in the age group of 30 to 45 years.
- The Presidential award carries a certificate of honour, a memento and a onetime cash prize of Rs.1 lakh.
About Maharshi Badrayan Vyas
- Badarayana was an Indian philosopher about whom almost no personal details are reliably known.
- He wrote the foundational philosophical treatise Vedanta school of philosophy.
- Badarayana is regarded as having written the basic text of the Vedanta system, the Vedāntasūtra a.k.a. Brahmasūtra.
- He is thus considered the founder of the Vedānta system of philosophy.
- The date of Badarayana and his Brahma Sutras is uncertain. Different scholars have dated the Brahma Sutras variously from 500 BCE to 450 BCE.