Mains Paper 1: Geography| Distribution of key natural resources
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: CGWB, NAQUIM
Mains level: Status of dams groundwater availability in India
Central Ground Water Board (CGWB)
- CGWB has been entrusted with the responsibilities of developing & disseminating technologies, monitoring national policies for the scientific and sustainable development and management of India’s ground water resources.
- It periodically takes up various studies which include ground water management studies, exploratory drilling programmes, monitoring ground water level and water quality through a network of ground water observation wells etc.
- The result collected is shared with the concerned States for taking up suitable ground water specific interventions.
National Aquifer Mapping and Management Programme (NAQUIM)
- The NAQUIM is an initiative of the Ministry of Water Resources for mapping and managing the entire aquifer systems in the country.
- It maintains the Hydrological Map of India.
- It aims:
- to identify and map aquifers at the micro level,
- to quantify the available groundwater resources, and
- to propose plans appropriate to the scale of demand and aquifer characteristics, and institutional arrangements for participatory management.
- It was initiated as a part of the Ground Water Management and Regulation scheme to delineate and characterize the aquifers to develop plans for ground water management.
- The AQUIM project is implemented in six selected areas in different hydrogeological environs of the country as shown below: