Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Issues relating to intellectual property rights.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti
Mains level: India’s indigenous defence industry
- Raksha Mantri has launched ‘Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti’ which showcases salient inventions and innovations achieved by DRDO, Defence PSUs and Ordnance Factories (OFs).
Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti
- As part of the ongoing initiatives to enhance self-reliance in defence, the Department of Defence Production has instituted a new framework titled ‘Mission Raksha GyanShakti’ which aims to provide a boost to the IPR culture in indigenous defence industry.
- The Directorate General of Quality Assurance (DGQA) has been entrusted with the responsibility of coordinating and implementing the programme.
- The event brought out that the end objective of ‘Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti’ is to inculcate IP culture in Indian defence manufacturing ecosystem.
- The IPR has emerged as a key ingredient of an ecosystem which stimulates innovation and ingenuity.
Defense IPRs in India
- An IP Facilitation Cell was established in April this year which has worked tirelessly to achieve ambitious targets of training 10,000 personnel of OFB and DPSUs on IPR and to facilitate filing of at least 1,000 new IPR applications.
- This has resulted in successful filing of Intellectual Property Right (IPR) applications.