From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Components of Modern Train Control system
Mains level : High speed railway connectivity in India: Prospects and Challenges
Indian Railways has decided to modernize its Signalling system on its entire network by implementing Modern Train Control system.
Modern Train Control system
- The RailTel Enterprises Ltd. (REL), a 100% subsidiary of RailTel Corporation of India Ltd. has been given the responsibility to implement these four pilot projects on behalf of Indian Railway.
- The MTCS includes provision of:
- Automatic Train Protection (ATP) System
- Electronic Interlocking System
- Remote Diagnostic & Predictive Maintenance System
- Long Term Evolution (LTE) based Mobile Train Radio Communication (MTRC) System
- Centralized Traffic Control System (CTC) /Train Management System (TMS)
- This is one of the most ambitious modernization projects of Indian Railways, which envisages upgradation of signaling system for improving safety, Line Capacity and to run trains at higher speed.