From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : National Archives of India
Mains level : Not Much
- National Archives of India has successfully digitized total 303 declassified files of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
About National Archives of India
- The National Archives of India is the custodian of the records of enduring value of the Government of India.
- Established on 11 March, 1891 at Calcutta (Kolkata) as the Imperial Record Department, it is the biggest archival repository in South Asia.
- It has a vast corpus of records viz., public records, private papers, oriental records, cartographic records and microfilms, which constitute an invaluable source of information for scholars-administrators and users of archives.
- The holdings in the National Archives are in a regular series starting from the year 1748 and has 40kms of shelf space.
- The Director General of Archives, heading the Department has been given the mandate for the implementation of the Public Records Act, 1993 and the rules made there under, the Public Records Rules, 1997 for the management, administration and preservation of public records.