Mains Paper 3: Agriculture | Economics of animal-rearing
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Mandate of the National Cow Commission
Mains level: Various issues associated with animal rearing and role of animals in the agricultural sector in India
- The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for establishment of National Cow Commission (Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog) for Conservation protection and development of cows and their progeny.
Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog
- The commission will work in collaboration with other government institutions working on research in the fields such as breeding and rearing of cows, organic manure and biogas.
- The commission will be tasked with providing a framework for cow conservation and development programmes.
- The setting up of Aayog will lead to conservation, protection and development of cattle population in the country including development and conservation of indigenous breeds.
- It will result in increased growth of livestock sector which is more inclusive, benefitting women, and small and marginal farmers.
The creation of this Aayog will provide the policy framework and direction to the cow conservation and development programmes in the country and for ensuring proper implementation of laws with respect to the welfare of cows.