From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : FAME India Scheme
Mains level : Early adoption of EVs in India
- The National Electric Mobility Mission Plan (NEMMP) 2020 is a National Mission document providing the vision and the roadmap for the faster adoption of electric vehicles and their manufacturing in the country.
- This plan has been designed to enhance national fuel security, to provide affordable and environmentally friendly transportation and to enable the Indian automotive industry to achieve global manufacturing leadership.
- As part of the NEMMP 2020, Department of Heavy Industry formulated FAME India Scheme in the year 2015.
- It was aimed to promote manufacturing of electric and hybrid vehicle technology and to ensure sustainable growth of the same.
- In this phase, market creation through demand incentives was aimed at incentivizing all vehicle segments i.e. 2-Wheelers, 3-Wheelers Auto, Passenger 4-Wheeler vehicles, Light Commercial Vehicles and Buses.
- The demand incentive was available to buyers of EV in the form of an upfront reduced purchase price to enable wider adoption.
- Based on outcome and experience gained during the Phase-II of FAME India Scheme was launched.
- This phase will mainly focus on supporting electrification of public & shared transportation, and aims to support through subsidies 7000 e-Buses, 5 lakh e-3 Wheelers, 55000 e-4 Wheeler Passenger Cars and 10 lakh e-2 Wheelers.
- The scheme will be applicable mainly to vehicles used for public transport or those registered for commercial purposes in e-3W, e-4W and e-bus segments.
- However, privately owned registerede-2W will also be covered under the scheme as a mass segment.
- In addition, creation of charging infrastructure will be supported in selected cities and along major highways to address range anxiety among users of electric vehicles.
Assist this newscard with: