From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : National Ganga Council
Mains level : National Ganga Council and its mandate
The first meeting of the National Council for Rejuvenation, Protection and Management of River Ganga (or the National Ganga Council) was recently held in Kanpur.
National Ganga Council
- The National Ganga Council (NGC) is an authority created in October 2016 under the River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016, dissolving the National Ganga River Basin Authority.
- In this backdrop, NGC has been established as an authority and National Mission for Clean Ganga has been also converted into an authority.
- The Council has been given overall responsibility for the superintendence of pollution prevention and rejuvenation of River Ganga Basin, including Ganga and its tributaries.
- The Prime Minister is the ex-officio Chairperson for the NGC
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation will be the ex-officio Vice-Chairperson.
- The other ex-officio members of the council are from various ministries and CMs of the corresponding states among other stakeholders.
Jurisdiction of the NGC
- The jurisdiction of the NGC shall extend to the States comprising River Ganga Basin, namely, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Uttarakhand, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Haryana, and the NCR of Delhi and such other States, having major tributaries of the River Ganga.