Mains Paper 3: Economy | Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: National Policy on Software Products – 2019
Mains level: Software industries in India
- The Union Cabinet has approved the National Policy on Software Products – 2019 to develop India as a Software Product Nation.
- It aims to develop India as the global software product hub, driven by innovation, improved commercialization, sustainable Intellectual Property (IP), promoting technology startups and specialized skill sets.
National Policy on Software Products – 2019
- The Policy will lead to the formulation of several schemes, initiatives, projects and measures for the development of Software products sector in the country as per the roadmap envisaged therein.
- To achieve the vision of NPSP-2019, the Policy has the following Missions:
- To promote the creation of a sustainable Indian software product industry, driven by intellectual property (IP).
- To nurture 10,000 technology startups in software product industry and generating direct and in-direct employment for 3.5 million people by 2025.
- To create a talent pool for software product industry
- To build a cluster-based innovation driven ecosystem
- In order to evolve and monitor scheme & programmes for the implementation of this policy, National Software Products Mission will be set up with participation from Government, Academia and Industry.
- The Indian IT Industry has predominantly been a service Industry.
- Its software product ecosystem is characterized by innovations, Intellectual Property (IP) creation and large value addition increase in productivity.
- It has the potential to significantly boost revenues and exports in the sector, create substantive employment and entrepreneurial opportunities in emerging technologies.
- With this policy, it can leverage opportunities available under the Digital India Programme, thus, leading to a boost in inclusive and sustainable growth.