From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Pashu Aadhaar
Mains level : Bovine productivity in India
The Nationwide Artificial Insemination Programme (N.A.I.P) which was recently launched by PM covering 600 chosen districts including aspirational districts as identified by NITI Aayog.
Nationwide Artificial Insemination Programme
- The NAIP is a campaign mode genetic upgradation program covering all breeds of bovines to enhance the milk production using low cost breeding technology.
- It aims for improving genetic merit of milch animals with high quality seed.
- The gestation period for getting the benefits from the AI bovine is approximately 3 years.
A mission mode project
- The aim of the program is to inseminate over 1 crore bovines in 6 months.
- The rate of Artificial Insemination is continuously increasing and has reached an average of 25,000 animals per day so far.
- 8 Lakh Artificial Inseminations has been performed under this programme benefitting more than 3.7 lakh farmers as on 29th November, 2019.
- The NAIP also aims to ear-tag them with ‘PashuAadhaar’ which is a unique identification provided to the animals.
- This will enable the Government to identify and track the animals uniquely with all details such as the breed, age, gender and owner details.
- Every cow and buffalo under AI will be tagged and can be tracked through the Information Network on Animal Productivity and Health (INAPH) Database.