Mains Paper 3: Agriculture | Issues related to direct & indirect farm subsidies & minimum support prices
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
Mains level: Ensuring better implementation of PMFBY through additional provisions.
New Provision against Delay in Settlement
- The Government has decided to incorporate the provision of penalties for States and Insurance Companies for the delay in settlement of insurance claims under the PMFBY.
- The farmers will be paid 12% interest by insurance companies for the delay in settlement claims beyond two months of prescribed cut-off date.
- State Governments will have to pay 12% interest for the delay in release of State share of subsidy beyond three months of prescribed cut-off date submission of requisition by insurance companies.
- The guidelines also detail a Standard Operating Procedure for evaluation of insurance companies and remove them from the scheme if found ineffective in providing services.
Insuring Horticulture Crops
- The Government has also decided to include perennial horticultural crops under the ambit of PMFBY on a pilot basis.
- The scheme as per the new guidelines provides add on coverage for crop loss due to attack of wild animals, which will be implemented on a pilot basis.
- Aadhaar number will be mandatorily captured to avoid duplication of beneficiaries.
Insuring more Non-loanee Farmers
- The insurance companies are given a target of enrolling 10% more non-loanee farmers than the previous corresponding season.
- They will have to mandatorily spend 0.5% of gross premium per company per season for publicity and awareness of the scheme.
Settlement of Claims
- The much demanded rationalization of premium release process has been incorporated in the new guidelines.
- As per this, the insurance companies need not provide any projections for the advance subsidy.
- Release of upfront premium subsidy will be made at the beginning of the season based on 50% of 80% of total share of subsidy of corresponding season of previous year as GOI/State subsidy.
- Balance premium will be paid as a second installment based on the specific approved business statistics on the portal for settlement of claims.
- Final installment will be paid after reconciliation of entire coverage data on portal based on final business statistics. This will reduce the delay in settling the claims of farmers.
Pradhan Mantri Fasal BimaYojana (PMFBY)
- Navigate to this page for detailed reading on PMFBY.