From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : New Space India Limited (NSIL)
Mains level : Expanding commercial functions of ISRO
- New Space India Limited (NSIL) has been incorporated as a wholly owned GoI Undertaking/Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE).
- Antrix Ltd is another PSU under the Department of Space that acts as an commercial arm of the ISRO
New Space India Limited (NSIL)
- It functions under the administrative control of Department of Space (DOS).
- It aims to commercially exploit the research and development work of ISRO Centres and constituent units of DOS.
- The NSIL would enable Indian Industries to scale up high-technology manufacturing and production base for meeting the growing needs of Indian space programme/
- It would further spur the growth of Indian Industries in the space sector.
Functions of NSIL
- Small Satellite technology transfer to industry, wherein NSIL will obtain license from DOS/ISRO and sub-license it to industries;
- Manufacture of Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) in collaboration with Private Sector;
- Production of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) through Indian Industry;
- Production and marketing of Space based products and services, including launch and application;
- Transfer of technology developed by ISRO Centres and constituent units of DOS;
- Marketing spin-off technologies and products/services, both in India and abroad
Posted on | PIB