Mains Paper 3: Science & Technology | Indigenization of technology & developing new technology
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: AI , details of the hackathon
Mains level: Applications of AI & its future in India
AI 4 All Global Hackathon
- With the vision to further expand the idea of’ Artificial Intelligence, AI for All’ articulated in the National AI Strategy, NITI Aayog has organized hackathons.
- The Hackathon was announced at the AI conference organized by NITI Aayog, in partnership with the ORF, held in Mumbai in November 2018.
- It aims to source sustainable, innovative and technologically-enabled solutions to address various challenges in the development space.
- NITI Aayog has partnered with Perlin – a Singapore-based AI start up – to launch the Hackathon.
- It is inviting developers, students, start-ups and companies to develop AI applications to make significant positive social and economic impact for India.
Objective of the Hackathon
- The challenge question seeks to develop solutions in Distributed Computing and Privacy Preserving techniques, such as multi-party computation, in AI.
- The objective of this hackathon is to promote awareness and subsequently develop solutions that deliver the twin benefit of efficient computing to address the infrastructure challenges, while also not compromising on privacy of data for training AI algorithms.
Phases of Hackathon
- The hackathon will be run two stages with Stage One ending 15 January 2019 and Stage Two, which will only include shortlisted participants from the previous stage, will conclude on 15 March 2019
- The first stage will invite ideas for use cases of multi-party computation in areas such as Healthcare, Education, Agriculture, Urbanization, Financial Inclusion.
- The second stage will call for these ideas to be matured and developed, with a focus on privacy preserving AI and distributed computing.
- Winners will share in a prize pool worth USD $50,000 in both cash and non-cash rewards.
- Participants will also get mentorship and support from the hackathon co-sponsors, including the opportunity to scale and implement their AI applications.
Other initiatives by NITI Aayog
- NITI Aayog organized its first hackathon, ‘MoveHack’ in August, on the sidelines of the Global Mobility Summit 2018.
- It was aimed to garnering cutting-edge mobility applications.