Mains Paper 2: Governance | Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Op Digital Board
Mains level: Raising standard of teaching and learning in India
- The Ministry of HRD launched Operation Digital Board to leverage technology in order to boost quality education in the country.
Operation Digital Board
- It is a revolutionary step which will make the learning as well as the teaching process interactive and popularize flipped learning as a pedagogical approach.
- The digital board will be introduced all over the country in government and government aided schools from class 9th onwards as well as in higher education institutions.
- The process will begin from the coming session of 2019 itself.
I. In Higher Education Institutions (HEIs)
- UGC will be the implementing agency for ODB in HEIs.
- UGC will put in place a Portal for all the public funded HEIs to log-in and opt for the scheme giving details of this facility.
- This can be implemented as a Central scheme under a loan from HEFA.
II. In Schools
- Digital / SMART board will be provided in all Government and Government – aided schools having Secondary and Sr. Secondary classes.
- Nearly 1.5 lakh Secondary / Sr. Secondary schools will be covered under the scheme in collaboration with the State and UTs
- ODB aims at converting a class room into a digital class room.
- It will make available e-resources at any time and at any place to students.
- It will also help in provisioning of personalized adaptive learning as well as Intelligent Tutoring by exploiting emerging technologies like Machine Learning, AI & Data Analytics.
Other technological initiatives
- The MHRD has launched of e-Pathshala, DIKSHA, NROER, NPTEL, E-PGpathshala SWAYAM and SWAYAM-Prabha DTH Channels etc.
- These have provided adequate content of high quality which can be taken to every classroom.
- These pedagogical interventions have raised the standards of teaching, irrespective of the location of the Schools and Colleges.