From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Paramahansa Yogananda
Mains level : Significance of Yoga
- The Union Minister for Finance released a special commemorative coin on Paramahansa Yogananda to mark his 125th birth anniversary.
- Paramahansa Yogananda (1893–1952) is considered one of the preeminent spiritual figures of modern times.
- Author of the best-selling spiritual classic Autobiography of a Yogi, this world teacher came to America in 1920 from his native India and was the first great master of yoga to live and teach in the West.
- He is now widely recognized as the Father of Yoga in the West.
- He founded Self-Realization Fellowship (1920) and Yogoda Satsanga Society of India (1917), which continue to carry on his spiritual legacy worldwide.