Mains Paper 2 : Government Scheme/Policies |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : About the bill, President's assent
Mains level : Particulars of the Bill
- The Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers’ Cadre) Bill, 2019 has been passed by both the houses of Parliament.
- The Bill will now be sent for President’s assent.
About the Bill
- The Bill replaces the “The Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers’ Cadre) Ordinance, 2019”.
- The new bill considers the University/College as one unit restoring earlier reservation system based on 200 point roster.
- No longer will ‘Department/Subject’ be treated as one unit.
- This decision will:
- Allow up of more than 7000 existing vacancies in Central Educational Institutions and pave the way for filling up 3 lakh vacancies in the Government (Central and State) Educational institutions by direct recruitment in Teacher’s Cadre.
- Ensure compliance of the Constitutional Provisions of Articles 14, 16 and 21.
- Ensure full representation of the Scheduled Castes/ the Scheduled Tribes, the socially and Educationally Backward Classes and Economically Weaker Sections in direct recruitment in teachers’ cadres.
- This decision is also expected to improve the teaching standards in the higher educational institutions by attracting all eligible talented candidates belonging SCs/STs/SEBCs/EWS.
- It will also ensure providing of 10% reservation to EWS.