From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) Programme
Mains level : IPR protection in India
The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for adoption of Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) programme.
About the PPH
- The Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) is a set of initiatives for providing accelerated patent prosecution procedures by sharing information between some patent offices.
- The programme would be run by the Indian Patent Office (IPO) under the Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks India (CGPDTM) with patent offices of various other interest countries or regions.
- It will initially commence between Japan Patent Office (JPO) and Indian Patent Office on pilot basis for a period of three years only.
- Under this Pilot programme, Indian Patent Office may receive patent applications in certain specified technical fields only, namely, Electrical, Electronics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Physics, Civil, Mechanical, Textiles, Automobiles and Metallurgy etc.
- The patent offices will frame their own guidelines for implementation of the programme.
Benefits of PPH
- Reduction in time to dispose patent applications.
- Reduction in pendency of patent applications.
- Improvement in quality of search and examination of patent applications.
- An opportunity for Indian inventors including MSMEs and Start ups of India to get accelerated examination of their patent applications in Japan.