From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Ports of Call, BIMSTEC
Mains level : PIWT and T
The Minister of State for Shipping has informed that under the Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade (PIWT&T) between India and Bangladesh.
What are Ports of Call?
- Port of call means an intermediate stop for a ship on its scheduled journey for cargo operation or taking on supplies or fuel.
- The following are existing Ports of Call in the two countries on Indo-Bangladesh Protocol (IBP) route:
About the ports
- Port of Mongla is declared as Port of Call under PIWT&T and Chattogram port is not part of PIWT&T.
- Mongla and Chattogram are declared as Ports of Call under the “Coastal Shipping Agreement” between India and Bangladesh.
BIMSTEC Coastal Shipping Agreement
- It aims to facilitate coastal shipping (instead of deep-sea shipping) in the region boosting trade between the member countries.
- It applies to coastal shipping- shipping within 20 nautical miles of the coastline. Coastal shipping requires smaller vessels compared to deep sea shipping.
- The agreement could help make movement of cargo between member countries faster, less costly, and more environments friendly.