From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Project REPLAN
Mains level : Measures to curb use of plastic
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) launched a first ever ‘Terracotta Grinder’ in Varanasi.
About the grinder
- The grinder was designed by KVIC Chairman, and fabricated by a Rajkot-based engineering unit
- This machine will grind the wasted and broken pottery items for re-using in pottery-making.
- Earlier the wasted pottery items were grinded in normal khal-musal (mortar and pestle) and its fine powder was mixed with the normal clay.
- Mixing this powder in stipulated ratio to normal clay makes the resulting pottery items stronger.
- This Terracotta grinder will make grinding of wasted pottery items faster than the traditional mortar and pestle.
- It will lessen the cost of production, and will also help in solving the problem of shortage of clays.
- By mixing 20 percent of this wasted terracotta powder, the potter will make a saving of at least Rs 520. This will also create more job opportunities in the villages.
Project REPLAN (REducing PLAstic in Nature)
- KVIC, as part of its commitment to Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan, had started manufacturing of plastic-mixed handmade paper under its project REPLAN (REducing PLAstic in Nature).
- In this project, the waste plastic is collected, cleaned, chopped, beaten and treated for softness.
- After that, it is mixed with the paper raw material i.e. cotton rags pulp in a ratio of 80 % (pulp) and 20% (plastic waste).
- The institute has sold over six lakh handmade plastic mixed carry bags since September 2018.