Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways, etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: “The Future of Rail” Report
Mains level: Importance of Railways Infrastructure
“The Future of Rail” Report
- The first-of-a-kind report analyses the current and future importance of rail around the world through the perspective of its energy and environmental implications.
- Itexamines how the role of rail in global transport might be elevated as a means to reduce the energy use and environmental impacts associated with transport.
- The report reviews the impact of existing plans and regulations on the future of rail, and explores the key policies that could help to realize an enhanced future rail.
- This global report has a focus on India, elaborating on the unique social and economic role of rail in India, together with its great enduring potential, to show how India can extend and update its networks to harness rail at a scope and scale that is unparalleled.
India and the International Energy Agency (IEA)
- The IEA is an inter-governmental organisation that works to ensure reliable, affordable and clean energy for its 30 member countries and 8 association countries.
- Its mission is guided by four main areas of focus: energy security, economic development, environmental awareness and engagement worldwide.
- India has been the focus of many recent IEA analyses and reports for instance through the special focus chapter on the Indian Power sector of the Energy Technology Perspectives (ETP) publication and the World Energy Outlook (WEO).
- IEA has also held workshops and training programmes in India on energy data training, energy efficiency, strategic petroleum reserves, and the integration of renewables into the grid.