From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Ramayana Circuit, Swadesh Darshan Scheme
Mains level : Development of Tourism
- Ramayana Circuit is one of the fifteen thematic circuits identified for development under the Swadesh Darshan scheme of Ministry of Tourism.
- The destinations under the circuit will be developed by bridging infrastructural gaps like provision of drinking water, accommodation facilities, etc.
- Then the 15 places will be connected to form a circuit.
- The scheme will be a joint effort of the states and the central government. It has a larger aim of providing job opportunities to local artisans, as it promotes local art and craft.
Destinations under Ramayana Circuit
The Ministry has initially identified fifteen destinations for development under the Circuit theme namely:
- Ayodhya, Nandigram, Shringverpur & Chitrakoot (Uttar Pradesh)
- Sitamarhi, Buxar & Darbhanga (Bihar)
- Chitrakoot (Madhya Pradesh)
- Mahendragiri (Odisha)
- Jagdalpur (Chattisgarh)
- Nashik & Nagpur (Maharashtra)
- Bhadrachalam (Telangana)
- Hampi (Karnataka)
- Rameshwaram (Tamil Nadu).
Other such Tourism Circuits
- Krishna Circuit, Buddhist Circuit and Spiritual Circuit are three of the other 12 circuits under the Swadesh Darshan Scheme, which seeks to boost religious tourism in India.
- As of now, 10 destinations have been finalised under the Krishna Circuit, which will pertain to his journey in India.
- The 9 remaining circuits, though not for religious tourism, aim to connect all major cultural heritage spots and other touristy spots of India, making travel-planning easier.
- A similar scheme, the Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spiritual Augmentation Drive (PRASAD), with the same objectives as the Swadesh Darshan scheme, aims to develop 13 pilgrimage cities across India.