Related Ministry/Department: Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries, Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
- A Frozen Semen Station is being set up in Maranga, Purnea under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission with 100% contribution from the Central Government
- Currently, the artificial insemination is being done by CMOFED (Sudha) in Bihar.
- The artificial insemination techniques can increase milk production and productivity.
- The Rashtriya Gokul Mission was initiated in December 2014 with an aim to conserve and develop indigenous breeds.
- To undertake breed improvement programme for indigenous cattle breeds so as to improve the genetic makeup and increase the stock.
- To enhance milk production and productivity of indigenous bovines.
- To upgrade nondescript cattle using elite indigenous breeds like Gir, Sahiwal, Rathi, Deoni, Tharparkar, Red Sindhi.
- To distribute disease free high genetic merit bulls of indigenous breeds for natural service