Mains Paper 2: Indian Society| Issues relating to poverty and hunger.
The following things are important from UPSC perspective:
Prelims: Poshan Maah
Mains level: Mission Mode implementation of Poshan Abhiyaan.
- The Government is celebrating the month of September, 2018 as the National Nutrition Month under the Poshan Abhiyan.
- The key feature of this programme is mobilization of communities across the country and gets their participation in addressing various aspects of the nutritional challenges.
- The primary aim is to enable awareness on the importance of nutrition and how individual families can easily access government services to supplement nutrition for their children and pregnant/lactating mothers.
- National Nutrition Month has eight key themes-
- Antenatal Care,
- Optimal Breastfeeding,
- Complementary Feeding,
- Growth Monitoring,
- Diet and right age of marriage for girls,
- Hygiene and Sanitation and Food fortification.
Jan Andolan under the Project
- POSHAN Abhiyaan seeks to synergise efforts of key stakeholders by leveraging technology and intends to take Nutrition Awareness to the level of Jan Andolan or People’s Movement.
- This People’s Movement intends to reach 11 crore beneficiaries during the Rashtriya Poshan Maah itself.
- Since the launch, Government has organised many Awareness Workshops with an aim to reduce stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight.
- Stakeholders across India will be encouraged to undertake activities ranging from State Level Workshops to Nomination of Brand Ambassadors to Multi-Media Campaigns.