Mains Paper 2: Governance |Ministries & Departments Of The Government
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: ASRB
Mains level: Not Much
The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for restructuring of Agricultural Scientists’ Recruitment Board (ASRB).
- In November 1973, the Cabinet approved inter alia setting up of Agricultural Scientists’ Recruitment Board with a whole-time Chairman.
- It was aimed to function as an independent recruitment agency in recruitment to various scientific positions in Agricultural Research Service and Research Management Positions of ICAR/DARE.
- In view of the significant increase in work load of ASRB the membership was increased from one to three of ASRB.
- The ASRB will now be a 4 Member body instead of 3 Members. It will have a Chairperson and 3 Members.
- ASRB would be for a period of three years or till attainment of 65 years of age, whichever is earlier.
- For the purpose of autonomy, secrecy, accountability and efficient functioning ASRB shall be delinked from ICAR and to be attached with Dept. of Agricultural Research & Education (DARE) under Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare.
- The budget head for ASRB may also be delinked from ICAR and be created under DARE, and the ASRB may have its own cadre of administrative staff in the secretariat and have independent administrative control.
How will this impact?
- The four Member body comprising of one Chairperson and three Members would help in expediting the work and functioning of ASRB.
- It would support in expediting the recruitment process which would be beneficial for the agrarian community and agriculture at large.
- Moreover, it will ensure more transparency and efficiency in recruitment of meritorious scientists to various scientific positions in lCAR, the premier agency for agricultural research and education in the country.