From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: ICHR
Mains level: Better governance and management of historical research
- The Government has reconstituted the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR), New Delhi for a period of three years till 2022.
Indian Council of Historical Research
- The ICHR is an autonomous body of the HRD Ministry, which had been established by an Administrative Order of the then Ministry of Education.
- The body has provided financial assistance to the historians and direction to the research scholars in their multifarious topics of historical research through established historians and scholars of the country.
- ICHR disburses funds for carrying out research to Indian as well as foreign scholars on their applications for fellowships, grants, and symposia.
The objectives of the ICHR, as enunciated in the initial pamphlet published by the Department of Education, Government of India in 1972 are as under:
- to bring historians together and provide a forum for exchange of views between them;
- to give a national direction to an objective and scientific writing of history and to have rational presentation and interpretation of history;
- to promote, accelerate and coordinate research in history with special emphasis on areas which have not received adequate attention so far;
- to promote and coordinated a balanced distribution of research effort over different areas; and
- to elicit support and recognition for historical research from all concerned and ensure the necessary dissemination and use of results
- An eminent historian nominated by the Government of India shall be Chairman of the Council;
- Eighteen historians nominated by the Government of India;
- A Representative of the U.G.C;
- Director-General of Archaeology;
- Director, National Archives;
- Four persons to represent Government who shall be nominated by the Government of India and which shall include one representative each of the Ministry of Education, the Department of Culture and the Ministry of Finance; and Member Secretary.