From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Red Mud
Mains level : Not Much
- In a step towards productive utilization of bauxite residue, commonly known as the ‘Red Mud’, an interactive workshop called ‘Waste To Wealth’ was organized by Ministry of Mines in New Delhi.
What is Red Mud?
- Red mud is a side-product of the Bayer process, the principal means of refining bauxite en route to alumina.
- This is an environmental concern due to presence of impurities such as caustic soda and others minerals.
- Global generation of red mud is more than 150 million tons and there exists a global inventory of more than 3 billion tons.
- It is composed of a mixture of solid and metallic oxides. The red colour arises from iron oxides, which comprise up to 60% of the mass.
- The mud is highly basic with a pH ranging from 10 to 13. In addition to iron, the other dominant components include silica, unleached residual alumina, and titanium oxide.