Mains Paper 3 : Various Security Forces, Agencies & Their Mandates |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : RECAAP
Mains level : Maritime Security in IOR
- The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) will be co-hosting an international workshop that aims to deepen knowledge on issues related with piracy and armed robbery, the maritime agency said.
- The two-day workshop has been organised in cooperation with the Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia (ReCAAP) Information Sharing Centre (ISC).
- The ReCAAP stands for Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia.
- It is the first regional Government-to-Government agreement to deal with piracy and armed robbery at sea in Asia.
- The ReCAAP Information Sharing Centre (ReCAAP ISC) was established under the Agreement and was officially launched on 29 November 2006 in Singapore.
- Presently, 20 countries are members of the ReCAAP including Australia, US, Japan, China and Bangladesh (Pakistan is not a member).
- India had played an active role in setting up and functioning of the ReCAAP ISC along with Japan and Singapore.
- The Centre has designated the ICG as the focal point within India for the ReCAAP.