From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: National Bamboo Mission (NBM), National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA)
Mains level: Various schemes for promoting plantation sector
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved Centrally Sponsored Scheme of National Bamboo Mission (NBM) under National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA).
- The Mission will be implemented for the remaining period of Fourteenth Finance Commission (2018-19 & 2019-20)
- The scheme is proposed to bring about one lakh ha area under plantation, it is expected that about one lakh farmers would be directly benefitted in terms of the plantation.
- Bamboo plantation will contribute to optimizing farm productivity and income thereby enhancing livelihood opportunities of small & marginal farmers including landless and women as well as provide quality material to industry.
- National Bamboo Mission (NBM) started as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme in 2006-07, was mainly emphasizing on propagation and cultivation of bamboo, with limited efforts on processing, product development and value addition.
- There was a weak linkage between the producers (farmers) and the industry.
- The restructured proposal gives simultaneous emphasis to the propagation of quality plantations of bamboo, product development and value addition including primary processing and treatment; micro, small & medium enterprises as well as high-value products