Mains Paper 3: Environment | Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Saksham 2019
Mains level: Read the attached story
- Saksham (Sanrakshan Kshamta Mahotsav) is a campaign organised by Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA).
- It is an annual high intensity one-month long people-centric mega campaign under the aegis of Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
Aims and Objectives
- It aims to sensitize the masses about conservation and efficient use of petroleum products which will lead towards better health and environment.
- This campaign is aimed at showing the way forward for making a change and enhancing the conservation capabilities of people.
- It helps understand the need for fuel conservation and find solutions thereof.
- The campaign seeks to promote effective utilization of petroleum products, something that will lead to environmental protection.
- The Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) is an organization established in India in 1978, under the aegis of the Indian Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- It is engaged in promoting energy efficiency in various sectors of the economy.
- It helps the government in proposing policies and strategies aimed at reducing India’s dependency on oil, in order to save money, reduce the environmental impact of oil use and also conserve fossil fuel.