Mains Paper 3 : Disaster Management |
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Sasakawa Award for Disaster Risk Reduction
Mains level : Multiple facets of Disasters in India and thier effective management
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) conferred Sasakawa Award 2019 for Disaster Risk Reduction to Dr. Pramod Kumar Mishra, Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister of India.
Why this Award?
- Mishra was awarded for his concentrated efforts and dedication towards serving the communities that are most exposed to disasters.
- He has selflessly worked to the cause of social inclusion to reduce inequality and poverty, ultimately benefitting the socially and economically marginalized in the country.
- The UN Sasakawa Award for Disaster Reduction is awarded to an individual or institutions that have taken active efforts in reducing disaster risk in their communities and advocates for disaster risk reduction.
- It was instituted in 1986 and is jointly organized by the UNDRR and the Nippon Foundation.
- A total grant of USD 50,000 is distributed among the winners which can be either organizations or individuals.
- The theme of the 2019 Sasakawa award was “Building Inclusive and Resilient Societies”.